Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pulled Over for Drug Trafficing

Can’t remember if I have written this story of not. If so, too bad! Read it again! Our daughters were young. Delaney was around 2 and Ashlyn was a few months old. We were moving from New Orleans to Knoxville. I’ll spare you the details of packing the 24-ft U-Haul with two little ones tagging along. We had a few items to pick up in Mobile so we were heading East on I-10 when it happened.

Yep! Mississippi Troopers!


Looking in the side mirror, I noticed a state trooper behind me with his lights on. Knowing I wasn’t speeding because the pedal was all the way to the floor and I was only going 60 mph. Delaney was riding with me and Ashlyn was riding with Shirley in our van. When I pulled over, Shirley stopped ahead also. Two officers stepped from the patrol car. Walking cautiously, one eased toward the driver side of the moving van. The other climbed onto the car trailer that carried my 1980 faded-brown Mazda GLC. It looked like a beat-up Chevette. Needless to say, I became worried when one drew his gun. I decided the best thing to do was raise my hands so they could be seen.

The officer on my side asked for my license and said, “Keep your hands so I can see them!” He left. Looking through the mirrors without moving my head, I watched the other officer climb all around the trailer.

The officer returned. He asked nearly 300 questions about “who” I was and “where” I was going. Apparently, satisfied with my answers he said, “We are looking for a drug trafficker fitting your description.”

“My description?”

“Yes, they are posing as a family moving.”

“You don’t need to worry, officer. I stopped drug dealing years ago.”

Did you know some officers don’t have sarcastic humor? I found out! Obviously, he wasn’t amused.

He then said, “They’re pulling a car almost exactly like yours.”

“If a drug dealer is pulling a car like mine, he’s not too good at his job, is he?”

Have you ever heard that timing is everything? Once again, officer not amused. It was one of those note to self moments - never use sarcasm with troopers.

We were allowed to leave without further incident. I don't think the church I was going to as student minister thought it was funny I was almost arrested on the way to lead their youth. Maybe one day I’ll write about that little Mazda and the time my brother and I were arrested for attempted armed robbery! Now that’s a funny story.

No comments:

Post a Comment