Friday, September 24, 2010

Shine, Jesus Shine

Judges 6-8

I always wondered why God asked Gideon to circle the bad guys at night while holding lamps covered with clay pots. I'm sure you remember the Old Testament story of Gideon. He assembled potential soldiers for the battle. Through a series of tests, the Israelites army was reduced to 300 men. Under the cover of night, the small army, armed with lamps, surrounded the enemy camp. When Gideon blew his horn, the 300 broke their clay pots exposing the light from their lamps. What a goofy way to win a war. God was definitely using His creativity when He came up with this idea.

Gideon: "God, how are we going to win with 300 men?"

God: "Get some lamps, clay pots and horns."

Gideon: What about swords and bows?"

God: Naaahhh. Not gonna need em."

Gideon: "Are we gonna set em on fire?"

God: "Circle their camp tonight. Wait for my signal and break your pots."

Gideon: "Then we set em on fire!"

God: "No, just run around blowing your horns."

Gideon: "You're serious?"

God: "Trust me, I've done this deliver My people thing before."

Ok, that may be my version of the conversation but you get the point. Gideon trusted God. He knew Israel would be delivered from their enemy. By the way, who is your enemy? Are you being pursued and persecuted? If so, God is your source of delivery.

So, here I am trying to figure out why God used clay pots and lamps. Then it hit me right in the face. Does that ever happen to you? Read a passage of scripture for the 100th time and all the sudden it comes to life clobbering you with something so obvious it makes you feel stupid? Well, that's what happened.

Many times the Bible refers to us as clay in the potter's hand. We are also referred to as light. So here it is. I finally understood this passage. God was painting a picture of our spiritual lives. His light only shines through our brokenness. We are the clay pots being held in His hands. When we are broken, He is able to be seen as the light of the world. Our brokenness reveals His light. If you don't understand what I mean, I would recommend you study the Scripture about light, clay and brokenness.

No comments:

Post a Comment