Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Disappointed

This morning I stopped at Starbuck's for a peppermint mocha and banana walnut bread. It was packed ... every table full. After I got my coffee and bread, I sat in one of the plush, comfy chairs in the corner. There were two men sitting at a table next to me ... talking loud. I couldn't help over hear their conversation. They were discussing John 15 ... specifically Jesus explaining the whole abide in Me thing. It didn't take long to realize it was a deep theological conversation. Their table was littered with notebooks and Bibles.

I became interested so I looked their direction several times ... just listening to them discuss the spiritual implications of what it means to really abide in Christ. It was fascinating and theologically deep. One even mentioned he was scheduled to be on a conference call with a couple other pastors later this afternoon.

They noticed me.

One said ... "you can't understand John 15 until you understand John 14" ... That's the one in verse 6 when Jesus told Thomas He was the Way, Truth and Life ...

I tried to engage them in conversation hoping either would take the opportunity to share their faith with me ... Nothing ... Squat ... Neither made any attempt to explain anything to me ... They had no idea if I was a Christian or not and made no attempt to ask.

It is sad and disappointing to see Christians so absorbed in their own faith they forget it is meaningless unless it naturally overflows in conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for discipleship and deep theological discussions. But don't forget to share what you learn with those who may not know.

Inward discipleship is useless .... Jesus said "GO TELL" ... that command is for every Christian.

Tell someone about Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment