Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The F-Word

The past few days I’ve asked a few questions in my Facebook status updates. They were related to fear and were in the form of questions. Here they are again:

1. What are your fears?
2. What do your fears keep you from accomplishing?
3. Do your fears motivate you?
4. Are fears irrational?

I’d like to explore this topic a little further. There are many types of fear. Some are healthy and some are not. Fear of walking out in traffic and getting hit by a car. That’s a form of a healthy fear. Some fears are irrational. I’d like to tell you about one of my most irrational fears. I have a fear of public restrooms. You know, the ones in the mall or shopping centers. I have always been afraid of being robbed or mugged in one. I know it’s weird. But I’m afraid someone will come up behind me while I’m standing at the urinal. I always picture this big, scary looking guy pushing me into the wall, and stealing my wallet while I’m trying to pee. Even at church, I look over my shoulder to make sure some wacked-out, demonic deacon isn’t lurking in the shadows waiting for an opportune time. It seems like there’s always a child-molester looking guy in the bathroom every time I walk in! If it’s a test – I fail every time. Sometimes I think about facing the other way so someone can’t sneak up on me. This would be a good time for a visual image. Can you see me with my back to the urinal?

I’m more concerned with the unhealthy fears that keep us from fulfilling God’s purpose for our lives. As Christians, we know God is not the author of crippling fear. So where does this type of fear come from?

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind
2 Timothy 1:7

It comes from Satan – our enemy. Remember, we are in a spiritual war against the forces of darkness. Our enemy uses unhealthy fear against us. In fact, I believe FEAR is one of his most often used tactics. Satan wants us defeated, and stagnant because of fear. He uses our minds against us causing worry, doubt and fear to keep us from serving God effectively.

Too many times we give into a spirit of fearI have come to believe that the word fear is one of the three real F-Words. We need to shout these F-Words over and over. I think it works like this: Forgiveness, another F-Word, leads to Freedom, another F-Word. Freedom in Christ comes through true repentance by His work on the cross. When Christ sacrificed Himself, He gave us Freedom through Forgiveness. We are not bound by fear any longer because His finished work on the cross allowed freedom to take away all fear through forgiveness.

So really, fear has been defeated. But still so many Christians live defeated and crippled spiritually because of fear. Fear grows out of doubt which grows out of worry. I think that’s why the Apostle Paul mentioned we should be anxious for nothing. Christ Himself said do not worry

The spirit of fear mentioned in 2 Timothy 1:7 is not healthy. This fear blocks what God has given us: His power, love and sound mind. This fear grips us with doubts and insecurities, waging war with our thoughts and feelings. Fear is one of the greatest weapons Satan uses against us. He attacks our minds. He tells us that we are no good, unworthy, unloved and useless.

How can we fight against these thoughts? By believing the truth of the second part of the verse. God has given us power, love and a sound mind through His Spirit.

Are you dealing with fears today that are gripping you so tightly that you feel helpless and hopeless? How can these fears be conquered? Start by praying for the Lord to open your mind and help you understand how to use the power given by His Holy Spirit.

Perfect love casts out fear -1 John 4:18. The real dynamic duo – Power and Love! Together like Oreo’s and milk.

I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fearsPsalm 34:4-7

The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to meHebrews 13:6

The opposite of fear is freedom. We have ultimate freedom through the power of Jesus Christ. His freedom comes through true repentance.

Forgiveness leads to Freedom, casting out all fear through His perfect love. Forgiveness comes through true repentance leading us to admit we have sinned. Repentance requires true brokenness. Repentance is NOT asking the Lord for forgiveness with the intent to sin again. Repentance is an honest, regretful acknowledgement of sin with commitment to change.

Besides public restrooms, my biggest fear is that I will somehow miss God’s calling and not fulfill His will for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment