Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jesus Passed By

The simple, seemingly not so important phrases of the Bible have always fascinated me. Most preachers focus on the more obvious themes, beliefs and concepts taught in Scripture. This is not a bad thing; we need to focus on the obvious. I’m interested in the obscure, minor, and downright weird sentences in the Bible. I’m going to mention two I found particularly strange … until God showed me what they actually mean.

The first is found in Hebrews 11:21 - One verse that has a weird ending.
By faith Jacob as he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshipped leaning on the top of his staff.

The last part of that verse says “leaning on the top of his staff.” I always wondered why it was important to tell readers an old man needed a staff. Isn’t that obvious? Lots of old people need assistance to get around, right? How many people do we see walking with a crutch? I’ve discovered when all else fails, as God what He meant. He might just tell you.

In order to understand the significance of leaning on the top of his staff at the end of Jacob’s life, we have to take a look at the middle of his life. I’m sure you remember the Old Testament story of when Jacob wrestled the angel one night. He was running from his brother, had a dream and got into a fight – with an angel. The angel touched his hip – probably dislocating it. So what, right? I’m sure if I fought an angel I’d come out with more than a dislocated hip!

The spiritual application is really quite simple. Once touched by God we will not walk the same. When God changes, transforms and renews, we are not able to walk the way we did before. In Joseph’s case that was physical and spiritual. Even at the end of his life, he still walked differently. He limped, needed a staff and walked different. Meeting God = walking differently.

The second phrase that has been puzzling and strange is found in Mark 6:48:
And seeing them straining at the oars, for the wind was against them, at about the fourth watch of the night, He came to them walking on the sea; and He intended to pass by them.

I’ve always wondered why Jesus was intending to pass by His disciples when they were in obvious need of saving. They were fighting a fierce storm, straining to row against the wind – fighting for their lives. And here’s Jesus on a midnight stroll on top of the water. Just having a good time, jamming to the tunes in His head. You know, the ones we listen to on our ipods. They were in a crisis. In fact, it was His fault! I’m not kidding, read the text. He sent them into the boat and told them to row across the Sea of Galilee. He sent his closest friends into a life threatening storm. And then He has the audacity and arrogance to pass by them seeming not to want to help.

Obviously, I know that wasn’t what God wanted to teach through the phrase intended to pass by them. So I’ve wondered why it was important to tell us that. Then I looked it up. There’s a good lesson. If you want to know what something means go study it. He wasn’t trying to beat them to the other side. He wasn’t trying to impress them with another miracle. He wasn’t even trying to teach them He was in control.

This phrase is known as a THEOPHANY. I’ll try to explain. Remember, I am not a Greek scholar. The Greek verb to pass by used in this text, is a translation of theophanys; which is a defining moment when God reveals Himself on Earth. Here are some other Theophany’s: God hid Moses in a crack on the mountain rocks so He could pass by revealing a glimpse of His glory. God told Elijah to stand on the mountain because He was about to pass by.

Back to the disciples in the boat, in the storm Jesus sent them into, God Himself intentionally passed by. Wow, I hope you catch the significance of the meaning. I used to think this text simply meant Jesus wanted His disciples to ask for help. Not any more. He knew they needed help. And at the moment they needed Him most, He showed up with a glimpse of His glory, revealing His power over the storm.

I’m sure now you understand the spiritual application. God understands the storm you are facing. In fact, He may have sent you into the storm. In the middle of the worst storm life is throwing at you, God will show up intending to pass by, revealing a glimpse of His glory.

Since we now know the storms of life are beating us back and forth, up and down and all around. I pray we all see God’s glory revealed as He passes by. Bring the wind, water, waves, storms and troubles of life because in them we see God’s glory and that’s what it’s all about. As I wrote that sentence, I started singing the Hokey Pokey.

May the God of Heaven intend to pass by us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment