Sunday, September 27, 2009

I was working in Diamond Bar, CA, outside of LA and decided to spend an evening on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Strip. I made my way in and out of several famous places and eventually settled in the House of Blues. It was a slow night so I had the place t myself, except for the deputy sheriff that sat next to me at the bar. Crime must have taken the night off as well. We started talking and immediately he recognized I was not from Cali. What part of the south are you from was his question. Alabama was my response. Here's where it became interesting. He said he had just gotten back from vacation in AL. I assumed Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. I must have looked shocked when he replied, Mobile. Who is the world vacations in Mobile? Especially if you live in LA. Before you get too far ahead of me, of course me response was "WHY?" According to this guy in LA, Mobile has the best music festival in the country. Yes, that's right! He vacationed to Mobile to attend BayFest. How cool is that? He lives in the music capital of the world and he comes to Mobile to listen to a good festival. How weird is it that I sat in the House of Blues on Sunset Strip talking to a guy who had just visited my hometown. What are the odds?

That reminds me of a time I was working in Chicago. As soon as I introduced mysel to a man I met on the south side of town, he asked what part of AL I was from. How did you know I was from AL, I responded. You have the Bama accent. Mobile, I said. He was originally from Bham but had lived in Chicago for 20 years. I guess we really do live in a small world. And it's now smaller with instant global communication. Spend a little extra time with people you meet this week, you might just be the answer to their prayer. Saints win again!

No comments:

Post a Comment