Monday, September 28, 2009

There I was, stuck in Orlando, FL with 5 RV's and 4 drivers in the fall of 2008. There were several tropical storms and hurricanes threatening FL and the Gulf Coast. If I remember right Hurricane Gustav was already in the Gulf, TS Hanna was threatening FL and Ike had made his presence known in the Atlantic. My responsibility was to sit in Orlando and wait, along with a fleet of RV's. Late one afternoon we got the call to drive north and follow TS Hanna as she approached the Carolina coast. Even though she wasn't a major threat, we wanted to be prepared.

Our convoy started and we headed north from Orlando. It was close to 8 pm when we left so we drove as far north as we could. We were somewhere in GA, close to the SC state line when we decided to stop for the night. Someone in our group had the bright idea that spending the night in a WalMart parking lot was a good idea. I should have known - I've been to that store during the day! I know what Hemingway must have thought at 3 am when the pack of wild cats started meowing! 30 cats in heat can make the most awful noise in the world. Needless to say, I was awake. So when you're stuck at WalMart at 3 am not able to sleep, what should you do? You guessed it. I went shopping. What a mistake. Have you ever wondered where those people who have 12 inch tall spiked mohawks hangout? We see them on TV and occasionally out and about, but I've always wondered where they work or hangout! Yep! You guessed it! They hangout at WalMart. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're all vampires but have you ever seen one during the day? I didn't think so. Good news is that I was able to catch a sale on milk, toothpaste, garden hoses, a bike and a good DVD player. I didn't need any of them but I couldn't pass up a good deal, right?

Speaking of vampires, I think Nancy Pelosi is one! Look at her teeth the next time you see her mouth open. Don't pay attention to whatever stupid sentence is coming out of her mouth, just look at her teeth. She's one of them. I know it! And Richard Dreyfus is too! All this vampire talk reminds me of a children's sermon I did once on Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost. Talk about scaring some kids into salvation! They were running all over the church looking for their parents! Needless to say, after that message, I got a visit from the chairman of the personnel committee. That's another story. Enough vampire talk, I'm hungry and it's past breakfast time.

No comments:

Post a Comment