Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Woo Hoo! I have arrived. I’m sure most of you have missed me but we’ll talk about that later. Most of you have been on FB, Blogging or Twitter for some time now. I’m relatively new to this whole networking thing. It’s been great to catch up and see how many of my old friends spent more time in jail than me. In reconnecting, I’ve been flooded with memories from the past which have prompted these random thoughts from the fringe.

Even though I graduated high school in 1986, 1985 was the best year. Most of the memories had faded but are now back – mainly due to my daily dose of prozac. My plans were simple back then. Dreams of running sound for Motley Crue and Whitesnake or producing music videos for the Chili Peppers still dance in my head.
Remember when MTV still played videos? We had Madonna long before Nirvana. I still remember when my now 12 year old daughter (Ashyln) discovered my old Ramones CD’s a couple years ago. I’m a good parent; stop judging! Just because she sang Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue in line at Target one day doesn’t mean I’m not! Listening to Limp Bizkit isn’t the same as Duran Duran.

I’m shocked that my favorite 80’s movies are now classics. I can still quote lines from the Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo’s Fire, Porky’s and Fast Times at Ridgmont High. That reminds me of the time when my other daughter, (Delaney) who is now 14, was 5. She playfully asked me to have a seat on the edge of her bed and close my eyes. Right then I should have known. Parents, NEVER close your eyes in front of your kids! It’s a trap! With my eyes closed waiting for something fun and playful, I felt the harsh, brutal thud from her hard suitcase slam into my forehead. Even 5 year olds can sling things hard enough to knock adults into next week.

There I was laid out about to lose consciousness when I heard her 5 year old voice say, “Say hello to my little friend.” In my dazed condition I was horrified and proud at the same time. My daughter quoted Scarface – at 5! She even added the Cuban accent. What a moment! Laid out with my forehead about to explode; listening to her shout! I guess in her mind it was funny! Come to think of it, I think it was her grandmother’s fault! She gave my daughter an old hard suitcase. One of those every grandparent has in their attic from the 1940’s. Hey grandparents, listen up! Grandchildren are not your opportunity to get revenge on your children! Stop it! It’s not funny!

Anyway, back to 1985. Springsteen and Van Halen were blowing us away long before Jay Z and Beyonce. Even Christian music was wild back in the day. Remember Mylon LeFevre and Broken Heart? What about Bryan Duncan, Charlie Peacock or Stryper? How could we forget Petra or DeGarmo and Key? Do you remember that White Heart’s original lead singer was Steve Green? What? Are you kidding? Just thought about David and the Giants and Steve Taylor.

Oh well, with snakeskin min skirts, wayfarer sunglasses, collars turned up, parachute pants, big hair and all; the 80’s still rule!

2 comments:

  1. I seem to remember that you had a perm back then too!! HAHAHA...I am glad you are writing a blog. I think I will start mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I can't remember if this was you or not. After reading this blog I seem to remember you sitting on the stage at Procter one Sunday morning in a suit with this rather large hickey on your forehead! From one of those kids toys...maybe a basketball goal or something? I could hardly pay attention all morning, trying not to crack up, but cracking up inside. OOOHHH so funny!

    Delanea Terrell-Tallent :)

    ReplyDelete