Monday, October 12, 2009

Bully Beatdown

The weekend is over so it's time to post something new. I was watching old UFC fights earlier wishing I was young enough to get into that sport. How cool would it be to put someone to sleep with a rear naked choke or drop elbows after passing full guard? Watching the fight got me thinking about a few fights I was in as a kid. One in third grade when I jumped from a three foot wall on top of a guy knocking him down. It was on then. He started it! The safety patrols broke us apart. I still remember the hallway filled with other kids cheering as we were drug to the office. We were like heroes. I remember someone saying I looked like Starsky or Hutch jumping from the wall. An old reference I know but remember it was in the 70's.

One of my best fights came in fifth grade. It was my first year at a new school. There was this big kid who picked on me everyday. He was a jerk; calling me names, pushing me around, knocking books out of my hands. I avoided him as much as possible; hiding in the locker room or eating lunch by my self. I remember avoiding everyone during recess. Did I mention he was big?

One day, he picked and picked. I was tired, embarrassed and humiliated. Walking through the hall, leaving my locker he knocked my books out of my hand. Kneeling down, I picked them up as everyone laughed. Even then I was a little sarcastic - shocking to think about I know - but true. Kneeling, I made a decision. It was now or never! Still on my knees, I shouted out loud "Let's get ready to rummmmmbbbbbbbllllllleeeeeeee" and came up swinging! I'd like to say it was classic form, UFC style, kicks, punches, elbows. It wasn't like that. I connected several times but only in an odd spastic way. Form didn't matter, I beat the crap out of that kid! Guess what? I enjoyed beating him up! I'm not sure what came over me but I'm glad I did it. Sorry, no spiritual meaning or metaphors. I'm glad he got the beatdown he deserved!

No comments:

Post a Comment