Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Wanna Be An Airborne Ranger - for Jan

Seeing a commercial for Airborne last night reminded me of a story. Weird how everything reminds me of a story? Airborne is the tablet you mix with water to take so you don’t get sick. A good friend had a unique experience with Airborne. OK, all you therapists, psychologists and counselors, I know when someone says something about a friend it usually means they’re talking about themselves. Not this time! I can’t reveal my friend’s name due to a confidentiality agreement I signed but I guess I could mention his initials – JH.

It seems that JH was not feeling well. Being the YOUNG, able-bodied man he is, his wife, Jan Hetherly, had to take care of him. While packing for a business trip, Jan gave JH a pack of Airborne. He thanked her and slipped it in his pocket. Later, sitting at the gate waiting for his plane, JH decided to take his first Airborne tablet. Have you ever seen a sea gull eat an alka-seltzer? I don’t know why that popped in my head. It has nothing to do with the story!

JH popped the quarter-size tablet in his mouth thinking he was supposed to chew it. Yes, this is the part where you start laughing. Within seconds the tablet reacted with his saliva thus causing JH to begin foaming at the mouth. I bet he looked like he had shaving cream all over his mouth! What a sight that must have been – a well-dressed, sharp YOUNG man in an airport foaming about the head and face. Talk about a security nightmare.

These are the day’s airport security personnel live for. Can you imagine them telling their spouses about the crazy guy who foamed at the mouth at work today? Needless to say, JH doesn’t take Airborne any more and Jan is perfectly content because she doesn’t have to clean goop out of his shirts any more.


Does anyone know if John Hetherly is still working in Cali?

No comments:

Post a Comment