Saturday, October 3, 2009

Wish I had the Dog's Hair

I'm sooooooo glad Dog, the Bounty Hunter lives in Hawaii. Could you imagine what kind of rep the sawth would have if he lived in TN, MS or AL? Although, I have to admit I occasionally watch his show. As far as redneck television goes, it's quite entertaining. I especially appreciate when he uses words like $^&!@ and ?(*&#!), followed by praise the name of Jesus! I wish I had his hair! Maybe I'll dress up like him for Halloween.

Thinking about Dog reminds me of last week when I went to the License Office to register my new truck. Yes, for those of you who may not know, I traded my Lexus SC430 convertible sports coupe for a truck! Don't worry, I'm not bitter! Anyway, back to the story. WOW! I haven't seen that many toothless wonders in one place since the last Blessing of the Fleet I attended in Bayou la Batre. Have you ever taken your number, sat down and just watched people coming and going from that building? Now that's redneck entertainment! I was amazed to see how many people couldn't read and follow instructions. Take a number and wait for it to be called! how difficult is that?

I heard number 198 called and watched two men walk to the available window at the same time. How can there be two 198's I thought? You know exactly where this is going. Neither had 198. I wonder what was going on in their brains. They both yelled at the lady behind the window when she explained she called 198 and neither had that number.

Do you think Jesus and His disciples had mulletts like Dog? Now that would make for a good da Vinci painting of the Last Supper. Come to think of it, I had a mullett for a while. But that was a long time ago.

Here's a thought to chew on as you're thinking about how I looked with a mullett. Peace is one of the names of God – Jehovah-Shalom. The Lord Our Peace is first mentioned in Judges 6:23-24. Shalom translates to peace and means whole, finished, fulfilled, and perfected. Shalom refers to the kind of peace resulting from being a whole person in right relationship with God. Peace comes from knowing God has made us whole and fulfilled!

You may believe the sun has set, its dark and your situation seems hopeless. There is hope and good news. A deep sense of humbleness has overtaken you; and finally you are looking and longing for God’s peace. The God who hung the moon and scattered the stars cares about you. He created you to love Him. Judges 6:23 reads: And the Lord said to him, “Peace to you, do not fear; you shall not die.” What an incredible statement!

Have you wondered why your situation seems hopeless or why bad things seem to keep happening? Gideon wondered and questioned God. Before God revealed Himself to Gideon as Jehovah-Shalom, Gideon questioned God’s presence. In Judges Chapter 6 verse 13, Gideon said, “If the Lord is with us, why have all these things happened? And where are His miracles?” Sound familiar? Have you asked that same question? Why has this happened? Where are you, God?

Does God really care when we are distressed or in danger? He cared enough to sacrifice His son Jesus to save us from our sin. He cares enough to lift you out of your circumstances. Psalm 40:1-3 – “I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.”

The Lord is Peace - wait for His timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment